Detailed Background Check and Thorough Background Check are also appropriate names for our Comprehensive Background Check. These background checks go well beyond a "quick and dirty" approach and focus on a complete background check that takes into account your unique requirements.
Remember, when conducting a Comprehensive Background Check, the screening process gathers information from multiple sources and provides a clearer understanding of the applicant's qualifications and reduces your risks.
Why Conduct a Comprehensive Background CheckUncover Problems - The primary benefit of a thorough detailed background check is the greatly increased likelihood of uncovering hidden issues in an applicant's history. Should any issues exist, a complete background check increases the probability of finding these problems.
Reduce Legal & Employment Problems - Thorough screening helps reduce or eliminate significant legal and employment problems such as negligent hiring liability, absenteeism, other discipline problems, and turnover.
Better Hires - With more information at an employer's disposal, the employer can be more confident that a candidate’s attitude, skills, and experience match the position and organization. See, The Growing Trend to Thorough Background Checks.
Discover Fraudulent Claims - Because of the large number of applicants who make false claims, a comprehensive background check will help screen out dishonest employees. See, Fake Resumes, Fake References, Fake Degrees: Employer Beware! and Background Check Statistics.
Employer Success - The bottom line is that an employer will likely be more successful as a business or non-profit if comprehensive background checks are conducted. See, Improve Profitability: Dividends from Employment Background Checks.
How to Do a Comprehensive Background CheckFirst, start with a Basic Background Check (Basic Background Check). Then select additional searches based on your particular needs.
Start With a Basic Background Check
- Social Security Number Scan
- County Criminal Record Check: Check both felony and misdemeanor files when possible. Check counties of residence, school, and work (last 7 years).
- Verify Employment History: (last 7 years)
- Education Verification: Verify post-high school education (especially for professional and management positions).
Select additional searches based on employer and job requirements
- County Civil Record Check: to determine history of civil litigation
- Credit Check: for positions of trust regarding cash, convertible inventory, or finances
- Federal Criminal Record Check: expands criminal record checks to include federal offenses
- Global Homeland Security Search: checks Homeland Security databases around the world
- License Verification -- State/Federal: for positions that require a state or federal license
- Medicaid Sanctions: for health care, child care, and social services positions
- Motor Vehicle Report: for positions requiring operation of company vehicles or driving on company business
- National Wants and Warrants: an important supplement to County Criminal Record Checks (recommended for all applicants)
- 'Nationwide' Criminal Database Check: useful supplement to County Criminal Record Checks
- Professional Reference Checks: an important element of any background check (typically conducted by the hiring manager)
- Sex Offender Registry Check: for health care, child/youth/elder care, teaching, residential management, hospitality, social services, and similar at-risk positions
- 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check: useful supplement to County Criminal Record Checks
- Workers' Compensation History: reveals history of workers' compensation claims
Add International Searches as needed
For information about international searches, see International Background Checks.
Add Employment Drug Screening as needed
For information about Employment Drug Screening, see Employment Drug Screening.
Background All Staff Members
We recommend that you background all your staff, including: full-time employees, part-time employees, temps, contractors, and volunteers.
Ready to Go?
step-by-step approach to
Account Setup is Free