Sex Offender Registry Check
A Sex Offender Registry Check is also referred to as a Sex Offender Check, a Registered Sex Offenders Search, or a Sex Offender Background Check.
Why Do Sex Offender Registry ChecksEmployers have a moral and legal obligation to provide a safe work environment. Knowing whether a potential employee has been involved in this type of criminal activity allows the employer to determine if an applicant is appropriate for the job and work environment. This search provides an important element of a defense against negligent hiring claims, particularly for employers who service those members of society who are the most vulnerable and least able to protect themselves (the infirm, the elderly, and children), or those employers whose staff have access to living quarters or residences.
A Sex Offender Registry Check broadens the scope of Criminal Record Checks to the state level for this type of crime.
What are the Sources for a Sex Offender Registry Check?Each state maintains its own Sex Offender Registry. We search the registries of the appropriate states.
What are the Weaknesses of a Sex Offender Registry Check?As with all database searches, a Sex Offender Registry Check is incomplete by nature. It is only as reliable as its last update.
Because a Sex Offender Registry only provides limited information about a specific type of crime, this search cannot be seen as a thorough criminal record search when run alone. It is most useful when run in connection with a proper County Criminal Records Check.
How Far Back Does A Sex Offender Registry Check Go?The information reported in a Sex Offender Registry Check varies greatly by state. For a more complete discussion about how far back a background check goes, see How Far Back Does A Background Check Go.
How Long Does a Sex Offender Registry Check Take?Sex Offender Registry checks are available for viewing within one business day. However, "hits" on a Sex Offender Registry Check will extend the turnaround time, as the researcher must verify whether the individual found in the registry is indeed the applicant in question.
Can I See a Sample Sex Offender Registry Check Report?Yes, click Sample Sex Offender Registry Check.
What is Our Recommendation for a Sex Offender Registry Check?We recommend a Sex Offender Registry Check on all employees who work with the infirm, the elderly, children, and all employees who have access to living quarters or residences.
We also recommend a Sex Offender Registry Check for any employer who wishes to broaden the scope of Criminal Record Checks to the state level for this type of crime.
Note: Federal, state and local laws and regulations are rapidly evolving regarding employer inquiries into and use of applicant/employee criminal records. See Background Check Laws and Regulations and Employment Background Check Blog. It is the employer's responsibility to stay current with changing legal requirements. Employers should obtain legal advice concerning their legal responsibilities, and to ensure that background check documents, policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
What Other Criminal History Searches Are Available?Additional criminal record searches available to help meet employer and job requirements include:
- County Criminal Records Check: checks county court records
- Federal Criminal Records Check: expands criminal records checks to federal offenses
- 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check and 'Nationwide' Criminal Database Check: are useful supplements to County Criminal Record Checks
- National Wants and Warrants: is an important supplement to County Criminal Record Checks
- Global Homeland Security Search: checks databases such as the Health and Human Services Exclusion List, Interpol Most Wanted, and OFAC
- International Criminal History Records Searches: are also available
- Criminal History Background Check
- Criminal Checks: Cost Versus Risk
- Summary Of What Can Be In A Background Check
- Comprehensive Background Check: The Best Background Check
- The Best Background Check Service: The Inside Story
- Knowledge Index: Criminal History Background Check
- Background Check Guidelines and Sample Policies
Ready to Go?
step-by-step approach to
Account Setup is Free