'Statewide' Criminal History
‘Statewide’ Criminal Records Checks are sometimes improperly referred to as Statewide Background Checks.
Why Do 'Statewide' Criminal Records Checks‘Statewide’ Criminal Records Checks help widen the search area covered by the criminal portion of a Comprehensive Background Check. They can be an excellent research tool since they cast a wider net for possible criminal records.
What are the Sources of a 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check?The source of each 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check is unique. There are few true state criminal history repositories, and these are dependent on the state's counties for criminal record information. 'Statewide' Criminal Databases are compiled from various sources, including Prior County Criminal Record Searches, County Criminal databases, Department of Corrections, Administration of the Court, and State Sex Offender Registries. When a 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check is ordered by a client, we attempt to use the best source available for each state.
What are the Weaknesses of a 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check?‘Statewide’ Criminal Records Checks are notoriously incomplete and out of date. Any database is only as reliable as its last update. What information is included, when it is included, and how it is included affects the quality and completeness of the database. Even official state repositories are dependent on counties for criminal record information, and counties may or may not be diligent, reliable, or timely in providing updates. Therefore, most state repositories do not have complete or up-to-date information.
The availability of criminal records varies greatly from state to state and county to county. A true 'Statewide' Criminal Records Search is difficult, if not impossible, to find. There are few states that keep a publicly accessible central database of all criminal records. Therefore, most 'Statewide' Criminal Databases are compiled from a range of sources (including county record searches) by private database companies.
Most criminal databases searches are not compliant with the Fair Credit Report Act (FCRA) and similar state laws. Therefore, any "hits" must be verified with the local jurisdiction. As a result, we do not provide the actual search results to our customers. Instead, we use the search result as a research tool to broaden the geographic reach of the criminal history element of a background check. For more information, see Criminal Database Limitations.
How Long Does a 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check Take?Statewide’ Criminal Record Checks are normally available in 1-2 business days from the order date. They can be viewed on our online tracking system. As explained above, "hits" require further research at the local level, which can extend the turnaround time for final results.
Can I See a Sample 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check Report?Yes, click Sample 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check.
What is Our Recommendation for 'Statewide' Criminal Records Check?Criminal record checks are an essential part of any Comprehensive Background Check. We recommend 'Statewide' Criminal Record Checks for employers seeking to widen the geographical area being searched for criminal records. This allows employers to protect themselves from individuals who may be trying to hide criminal records.
Note: Federal, state and local laws and regulations are rapidly evolving regarding employer inquiries into and use of applicant/employee criminal records. See Background Check Laws and Regulations and Employment Background Check Blog. It is the employer's responsibility to stay current with changing legal requirements. Employers should obtain legal advice concerning their legal responsibilities, and to ensure that background check documents, policies and procedures are in compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
What Other Criminal History Searches Are Available?Additional criminal record searches available to help meet employer and job requirements include:
- County Criminal Records Check: checks county court records
- Federal Criminal Records Check: expands criminal records checks to federal offenses
- 'Nationwide' Criminal Database Checks: also used as a supplement to County Criminal Record Checks
- National Wants and Warrants: is an important supplement to County Criminal Record Checks
- Sex Offender Registry Check: is essential for health care, child/youth/elder care, teaching, residential management, hospitality, social services, and similar at-risk positions
- Global Homeland Security Search: checks databases such as the Health and Human Services Exclusion List, Interpol Most Wanted, and OFAC
- International Criminal History Records Searches: are also available
- Criminal History Background Check
- Criminal Checks: Cost Versus Risk
- Summary Of What Can Be In A Background Check
- Comprehensive Background Check: The Best Background Check
- The Best Background Check Service: The Inside Story
- Knowledge Index: Criminal History Background Check
- Background Check Guidelines and Sample Policies
Ready to Go?
step-by-step approach to
Account Setup is Free